| Refugee Claim | Skilled Worker | Business Immigration | Family Sponsorship | Temporary Visas
News Services About Us Contact Client Eligibility Online Payment

Family Sponsorship

Who may be sponsored?

You may sponsor relatives or family members from abroad if they are:

  • Your spouse, common-law * or conjugal partner 16 years of age or older;
  • Your parents or grandparents;
  • Your dependent children, including adopted children;
  • Children under 18 years of age whom you intend to adopt;
  • Your brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans, under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship;

You may also sponsor a relative of any age if he/she does not have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list above who could sponsor him/her and who is already a Canadian citizen, Native Indian or Canadian permanent resident.

* A common law partner is a person (of the same or opposite sex) with whom you are cohabiting in a conjugal relationship and have cohabited for at least a year. Common-law partners may include their dependent children on their application whether they are being sponsored from inside or outside of Canada.

Definition of a dependent child:

A son or daughter is considered a “dependent child” when he/she is:

  • under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner;
  • a full time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22);



  • financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.



Sponsorship requirements:

  If you want to sponsor any of the above listed relatives or family members, you may have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives or family members who have received social assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person.


Sponsorship is a considerable commitment, so you should take this obligation seriously.

  If you live in any province in Canada except Quebec and wish to sponsor a relative or family member, you must sign an Undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. You must also sign a Sponsorship Agreement with your relative or family member that outlines your mutual commitments to each other.


For Quebec residents, an Undertaking will be signed with the province of Quebec.

INLAND spousal sponsorship:

  You may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner from within Canada if they have been living with you in Canada.

  The new policy sets out that most spouses and common-law partners in a genuine relationship with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, regardless of their status in Canada, are able to apply for permanent residence while remaining in Canada. This change in policy, however, only applies to situations where a family class sponsorship application has been submitted.


To arrange for a consultation, discuss your eligibility and advise you on the appropriate line of action, we invite you to call or email us. Please be informed that a consultation fee will be applicable.


Website by BestCommerceTools.