| Refugee Claim | Skilled Worker | Business Immigration | Family Sponsorship | Temporary Visas
News Services About Us Contact Client Eligibility Online Payment

Skilled Worker

What does Canadian permanent resident status confer?

Pursuant to the provisions of Canada’s constitutional laws, once you become a Canadian permanent resident, you are permitted to permanently reside in Canada and earn a livelihood in any one of the country's ten provinces or three territories. You may attend primary, secondary and post-secondary education institutions in the various provincially administered public school systems without paying extra tuition fees. You also qualify for provincially administered universal health care coverage.
As permanent residents of Canada, you and your dependants will have the same rights and obligations as Canadian citizens with the exception of the right to vote or run for office.


How long does it take to obtain a permanent resident visa?

Depending upon the time of year, the immigration office in question and other factors, the processing time for an application for permanent residence filed under the economic class may vary between 6 to 40 months.

This is the time generally needed to demonstrate
  • the applicant's qualification under one of the applicable categories,
  • a clean bill of health for the principal applicant and his/her accompanying dependants,
  • sufficient assets to successfully establish the family in Canada
  • a confirmation of no criminal inadmissibility for the applicant and the over-age accompanying dependants.
NOTE: The immigration offices in New Delhi, Islamabad, Singapore and Beijing currently attract the most applications and therefore have the longest processing times.


Who is included in the application for permanent residence?

The application for permanent residence generally includes

  • the principal applicant
  • his/her spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner 16 years of age or older
  • any unmarried children under the age of 22 years. Children over the age of 22 may, in prescribed circumstances, be included as accompanying family members.


What supporting documents must I submit?

Supporting documentation generally includes evidence of education, employment, assets, civil status, medical exams, and a clean criminal record. Each visa office has its own specific requirements for supporting documentation. It is advisable to seek expert guidance or get instructions from the particular visa office which will process your application to ensure compliance with all their requirements.


Am I required to have a certain amount of assets?

Skilled worker applicants will generally be required to prove that they have sufficient settlement funds for themselves and any accompanying dependents. They are expected to be able to support the landed family (the principal applicant and all accompanying dependents) until employment is obtained.


If I have a close relative in Canada, will it benefit my application?

YES. Skilled worker applicants will be awarded bonus points if they have a close relative in Canada who is

  • The applicant’s (or his/her accompanying spouse’s) parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or grandchild of a parent, niece or nephew
  • AND

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident aged 19 years or over, residing in Canada
The applicant is then referred to as an "assisted relative".


Is work experience a requirement?

Work experience is a critical requirement for a Skilled Worker immigrant. Applicants must be able to demonstrate at least (1) one year's work experience in an occupation appearing on the General Occupations List.

Applicants with a government validated job offer in Canada will receive bonus points.

Must the experience have been accumulated on a full-time basis?
Must it have been accumulated continuously?

Part-time work experience is acceptable. It is assessed in proportion to a standard full-time working week. For example, a two-year part-time position requiring approximately 20 hours of work per week will be counted as one year of full-time experience.

Non-consecutive work experience in positions involving the same duties may also be counted, if the total work experience meets the minimum experience requirements.

How is experience in a previous or current occupation evaluated when that occupation differs from the applicant's education?

Under the current selection criteria, such experience is fully counted towards the assessment of the applicant's work experience.

Is credit given for experience gained during post-secondary studies?

YES. As long as the experience gained at that time is consistent with the definition of an occupation
appearing on the General Occupations List, it can be counted towards the assessment of the total work experience.

Is it obligatory to have a job offer in Canada before applying as a skilled worker in order to qualify under this category?

You are not required to obtain an employment offer to qualify as a skilled worker.

Can I apply if I do not yet have the required minimum work experience?

Applicants without one year of work experience in an "open" occupation (6 months for applicants destined to Quebec or Manitoba) are required to demonstrate arranged employment in Canada.


What are the applicable processing fees to process an application for permanent residence?

Applications for permanent residence must include the appropriate fees for all applicants (principal applicant and their accompanying dependants). The fees are divided into


These fees are non-refundable and must be included with your application at the time of submission

  • CAD$ 550 for the principal applicant and each dependant aged 22 years or older
  • CAD$ 150 for each dependant under 22 years of age.
LANDING FEES (Right of Permanent Residence Fees):

These fees are refundable and may be paid at any time during the processing of your application or upon request by the visa office, prior to the issuance of the permanent resident visa(s) 490$CAD for the principal applicant and each dependant aged 22 years or older

Applicants are encouraged to verify payment procedures and applicable options with local missions.

In order to determine your eligibility for Canadian permanent residence, we invite you to complete our online evaluation form.

To arrange for a consultation, discuss your eligibility and advise you on the appropriate line of action, we invite you to call or email us. Please be informed that a consultation fee of 200 $CAD will be applicable.

Website by BestCommerceTools.